We are a leader in providing innovative track solutions for Class 1 railways and large industrial customers, grain companies, mines and short lines across North America. Cando is a one stop shop for track, from conception, to design, to construction and inspection and maintenance once your track is running.
Our experienced team of engineers and track experts will provide you with the right equipment and expertise for any job. With regional bases in several provinces and mobile crews from Ontario to BC, we can respond quickly to any of your track needs. And our exemplary safety record and qualified CROR operators mean it will be done right.
Cando has a Certificate of Recognition (COR) from the Construction Safety Association of Manitoba and an Equivalent Certificate of Recognition from the Saskatchewan Construction Safety Association, and our Safety Management System meets or exceeds industrial standards (ISNetworld, Avetta and Cognibox).
- Technical Services, Planning & Railway Consulting
Our rail and engineering experts have the ability to lead a customer’s conceptual project and progress the plans from the civil works all the way to the track construction, and everything in between.
- Long term capital planning and conceptual design layouts for customer facilities, yards and siding tracks
- Industrial Development team to research feasibility studies
- Established partnerships with experienced industry engineering consulting firms
- Site supervision by our Class 1 experienced railroad team who have worked on large construction projects and know how to liaise between short lines, Class 1s and our customers
- A liaison for Public Works activities, assisting and coaching railways on all matters pertaining to road authorities, regulatory agencies including Transport Canada and all levels of provincial and federal government, and the general public
- Project management and railway technical resource for consulting firms, customers and the railways where our rules qualifications can be leveraged both in the office and in the field
- Proven experience for infrastructure planning requirements including:
- Immediate and short term regulatory maintenance planning and dispatching
- Monitoring track conditions to manage the level of risk and budget for the customer
- Accurate long range forecasting for a three to 15 year maintenance and upgrade plan
- Developing a budgetary business model to reduce cost for customers
- Assessing existing track conditions and developing an annual maintenance plan
- Track Construction and Maintenance
From capital program track work to tie replacement programs, we offer a full suite of construction and maintenance services to meet your needs.
- Capital program track work including:
- new track construction
- rail bed construction and site preparation
- rail replacement programs and grade construction
- tie renewal programs
- Light and medium maintenance including:
- track upgrades
- thermite welding and distressing
- rail joint build up
- switch grinding
- tie and rail change out
- surfacing and alignment
- changing switch stands
- building/installing turnouts
- crossing replacements and repairs
- track remediation services such as replacement of failed sub-ballast/sub-grade
- snow and ice removal
- conducting derailment repairs
- culvert inspections and replacement
- Capital program track work including:
We have a team of certified track inspectors that possess years of valuable experience from their time working on the Class 1 railways who can demonstrate a high degree of competency.
- Quality assurance—up-to-date training and knowledge of industry standards to the required level of provincial and federal regulations so we can give our customers’ assurance their track infrastructure is safely in compliance
- Prioritized reporting—when our supervisors walk a customer’s track, every detail of the infrastructure is prioritized on their reports to distinguish the difference between an urgent defect, a priority defect or a condition that needs to be simply monitored
- Comprehensive briefing and secure digital copies—once the customer is briefed on their inspection and a hardcopy report is left in their possession, we store the digital copy on a secured hard server, to which the customer will have access through their own portal
- Off-/On-Track Material Handling
Cando is specialized in off-track and on-track material handling and support for production gangs and local engineering departments using our fleet of hi-rail picker and deck trucks, as well as trucks paired with specialized gondolas (Multi Purpose Consists) and an excavator.
- Light motive power
- Material pick-up and distribution
- Production loading
- Inventory management
- Sperry change-outs and logistics
- Bank stabilization, widening and ditching
- Capital builds and logistics
- Labour and support crews
- Equipment rentals
- Moving material and equipment
- Full crews for dumping ballast
- Cutting rail
- Brush cutting
- Site clean-ups
- Specialized Mechanical Shop
Our Red Seal mechanics are responsible for a fully equipped shop that can handle anything from complete diesel overhauls to small tool repairs. Our qualified team of innovative mechanics and shop fabricators rebuild equipment for rail needs.
- Service and repair specialized on-track rail construction equipment
- Proper procedures, tooling and test equipment for rebuilding and testing Tamper work heads
- Research, development and fabrication of specialized tools and equipment
- Repair and overhaul large trucks
- Peoplenet Elog installation and warranty centre for Western Manitoba
- Tractor, trailer and bus safety certified inspection station
- Parts and equipment location service
- Approved installer and auditor of the GPS tracking units for trucks
- Track Removal
We are experts at track removal and tear out, with customized processes and techniques perfected over 40 years.
- Complete rail, tie and OTM removal
- Central location, minimal mobilization costs and flexibility to work on large or small contracts
- Detailed project plan and timeline before start-up